All children who are in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2 in a state-funded school will be offered a free healthy school lunch. Children in other school years will also be offered a free school lunch if their parent is receiving any of the benefits listed below:
- Income Support
- Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit but no element of Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenues & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
- If you are supported under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Working Tax Credit during the four-week period immediately after your employment finishes or after you start to work less hours per week
- Universal Credit
Registering could raise money for your child’s school
Registering for free meals could raise an extra £1,320 for your child’s school, to fund valuable support such as extra tuition, additional teaching staff, specialist support, breakfast club and after school activities. We will also be able to provide subsidised after school clubs and school trips.
This additional money is available from central government for every child whose parent is receiving one of the welfare benefits listed above. It is therefore important to sign up for free school meals, even if your child is in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2, so that your child’s school receives as much funding as possible.
Your application is confidential – if you think you may be eligible please do apply.
The process for applying for Free School Meals has changed:
- You can apply online (using the link below)
- You will get an immediate response and confirmation email after you have completed your application. The school will be contacted directly to confirm that your child is eligible for free school meals and when this will start.
How the information in this form will be used
The information you provide when completing the application will be used by the council to confirm receipt of one of the listed welfare benefits. Once this is confirmed, this helps to decide how much money your child’s school will receive each year.
The information will also be used in relation to children in Year 3 or above to decide whether they are eligible for free school meals. You only need to complete the form once and it will last for the duration of your child’s time at their current school.
Thank you for completing the form and helping to make sure your child’s school is as well funded as possible.
Find out if your child is eligible for Free School Meals and how to apply using the link below:
If your child is of Nursery/Pre-school age you should visit the Early Years page to find out more about Early Years Pupil Premium